Migration Issues and Making Development Joomla 2.5 Version Live to the Root

After polishing development version, that I’ve migrated from J1.5 to 2.5 with SPUpgrade help, I just needed make it live with a root domain.

The old J1.5 site was in the root of domain, and new development J2.5 site for migration I’ve set up in a folder. So the new site was below the old site, and some parameters of the old site settings were influencing the new one.

Thus I had a big issue with cookies handling, which disabled registrations to the site. So I made the old site work without www in URL, and the new site was using www.

Old site .htaccess:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www\.domain\.com$
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://domain.com/$1 [R=301,QSA,L]

New site .htaccess:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www\.domain\.com$
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.domain.com/folder/$1 [R=301,QSA,L]
RewriteBase /folder

In php.ini of the new dev site:

upload_tmp_dir = /home/user/public_html/folder/tmp
setcookie('name', 'value', time()+3600, '/folder/', 'www.domain.com');
session.save_path = /home/user/public_html/folder/tmp

And in J2.5 configuration.php this settings were changed to redirect to the folder:

public $live_site = 'http://www.domain.com/folder';
public $log_path = '/home/user/public_html/folder/logs';
public $tmp_path = '/home/user/public_html/folder/tmp';
public $cookie_domain = 'www.domain.com';
public $cookie_path = '';
/* important: timezone of your server needed to avoid problems */
public $offset = 'America/Denver';

When cookies problem was resolved I just followed Joomla documentation and moved all old site files to a folder, to have a temporary backup. Then moved all files from my folder directory, and updated this settings – removed /folder path everywhere in config, php.ini and .htaccess.

The only problem was configuration.php, that wasn’t changing when I edited it several times. I’ve noticed that its permissions are 444, and changed them to 777, edited, than switched back to 640 or something…

The site is OK now. Thanks God!

Share:
This entry was posted in Joomla and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.