Here’re some simple rules which will make your email newsletter to display well in different mail clients.
- Many email clients will ignore everything on top of
bodytag itself. Therefore:
- Use no DTD (quirks mode)
- Style sheet should be put below
- Use tables for layouts and positioning. Use
- Put all style data in inline style definitions of specific elements.
- You may specify some rules in your stylesheet, but be prepared they will be skipped by many mail clients
- Avoid positioning or anything not related to fonts, colors, background colors etc. They will not work.
- No use of complex CSS rules, like
- Table and images in Outlook can’t be longer then 1728 pixels or they will clip at the bottom.
- Background images will not work, only background color can be used. And use it as
bgcolor="red"html tag, where possible.
- Declare height and width for images.
Just imagine you are back in 90s – write your code and everything gonna be alright.